Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, March 31, 2012

h2odevos encores 033112 Spiritual Spelunking


"When morning sun brings the dawn, 
Love light my way
Lead me on as world turns 'round 
and night enfolds the day
Through spinning season, reeling change, 
Lord light my way
Each one in rhythm 
with the song of life you did create
Surprised us with grace
Beside us you stay
Recognized us for who we are and whose we are by name"

Light My Way by Peter Mayer & Patricia O'Reilly

I don't know very much about spelunking. I happened to be reading an article the other day about cenotes which mentioned spelunkers. As I did a little reading about the topic, it seems that among some people there is a distinction between  "cavers" and "spelunkers."

The information I read indicated that "cavers" are experienced, trained explorers of caves (who also have the right clothes, equipment and abilities). Whereas, in the mind of some "cavers,"  "spelunkers" are the amateurs that "cavers" have to rescue from time to time. It might be fair to suggest that on a continuum of skill, "spelunkers" are at one end, and "cavers" are at another end. (If I have offended any "spelunkers" or "cavers," you can put me in a virtual "cenote.") Okay, I've used that word twice already today. As of last week, I don't believe I had ever seen it or even heard it spoken. But, you can check it out.

Anyway, I believe Lent is a time to do some "spiritual spelunking." It's a time to check out "caves" and what lies beneath the surface of things. Perhaps you've done some of this before in individual or group therapy. Maybe you have stood at the "entrance" of a cave, but have been too fearful and consequently immobilized or paralyzed to venture any farther. Whether or not you have entered into the cave, you've already had a good start.

Peter graciously sings, "Love light my way."  I really like that prayer because that is the God's honest truth, love illuminates the journey. Peter also sings in Ever Walk with Me Lord,  "Before I can come before You, You come to me."

So, whether you are a "caver" experienced in this sort of thing, or a "spelunker" in the eyes and mind of others (and maybe even yourself), today is a good day to let the light guide you on your way among some of those areas beneath the surface.

I firmly believe you'll "be surprised by grace."

Happy Spiritual Spelunking!
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment